Differential Questions

From: Kurt Eckert (eckert(at)tfn.com)
Date: Mon May 12 1997 - 15:30:42 CDT

Hi All,

I am still working on my differential rebuild and have some questions. I have
two of them, one is a 4.22:1 the other is a 3.89:1. I have reason to believe
that both have them are made up of parts that were traded betweeen the two. I am
planning on putting the 3:89:1 as that is proper for my car but I want to know
which is the correct case and brake backing plate. Here are the specs:

Differential 1
-----------------
6A 3873 stamped on the case
Emergency brake attached to bar sticking straight out from the back of the
pumpkin
Plate bracket welded to back of the passenger side of the axle case (LHD)
Has a metal cap over the case breather

Differential 2
-----------------
5Aw 215 stamped on the case
Emergency brake attached to flat plate welded to the back of the pumpkin
Flat plate bracket welded to back of the passenger side of the axle case (LHD)
Has a set screw in the case breather

Backing Plate 1
----------------------
Has a single wheel cylinder hole shaped like two connected rectangles one
smaller than the other

Backing Plate 2
Has two wheel cylinder holes shaped like two unconnected rectangles one smaller
than the other
The wheel cylinder holes are set in an oval shaped ring.

Thanks in Advance,
Kurt Eckert
1963 Series III GT