Clutch Subtitution

From: Ron Tebo (tebomr(at)cadvision.com)
Date: Tue May 13 1997 - 08:17:11 CDT

I have just removed my series I clutch (6 spring pressure plate) and
found one arm of the pressure plate apparently collapsed due to internal
problem. I have a new Series II (9 spring) pressure plate that I would
like to use as a replacement. (The bolt holes match but the dowels
don't). The question is whether moving the dowels to allow installation
would destroy balance on the flywheel and pressure plate.

Also, the PO installed a 1966 all-synchro trans. and though it was
working properly on my 1600 engine, I wondered whether the bell-housing
which appears to be S.II (0nwards) would cause clutch problems.

The release bearing and cup was the same for S.I and II, as were the
clutch master and slave.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627