Re: ammeter wanted

From: DSand95510(at)aol.com
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 14:46:16 CDT

In a message dated 97-05-15 23:31:15 EDT, FRITZWICH(at)aol.com writes:

>I am looking for a 50 amp meter for my series 5 Alpine. I have a 30 amp
>meter that gets pegged on the plus side under no-load conditions. The meter
>will drift to zero when I turn on lights, blower and wipers. I think a 50
>amp meter will work better in my car. Anyone have one they'd like to part
>with or any ideas how to remedy the 30 amp pegging problem?
>Rich

A 35+/- amp meter was optional on Series V's to match the new alternator's
output. Is your alternator stock? Except after a heavy discharge, my stock
ammeter shows a charge of 30+ amps for only a very short time before starting
to return towards zero.

Does your ammeter return to almost zero after a short period of recharging?
 Are you getting negative readings with the engine off and lights on? Is
the wiring to/from the ammeter correct per the wiring diagram? (Use
diagrams from other Rootes models equipped with alternators if you can't find
a Series V diagram that includes an ammeter.)

If the wiring is correct and you're showing a continuous high charge, perhaps
your regulator is shot.

Dick Sanders