Re: Wheels

From: Ron Tebo (tebomr(at)cadvision.com)
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 04:45:52 CDT

Tony Leeming wrote:

> > I was planning on using 165-80-13 or 175-70-13 inch tires on my car. Has
> > anyone had any problems with these sizes? Thanx. Tom
>
> Tom, I am running with 165-80-13 on 5J's with no problem.
> Tony Leeming Series II

Just to add to your tire search and help (maybe) with speedo problems,
Goodyear has a home page with a "Tire Selector" which lists Sunbeam
Alpines!(only goes back to 1970 coupes, but...)
You can then punch in values of 1-10 for tread life,snow traction, wet
traction, quiet ride, handling and peformance, and price.

I did this and got 4 models of their 165/80R13 with tire specs that give
service description, approved and measured rim width, secton width,
tread width, max. load, and most important, overall diameter to two
decimal places. This last statistic really helps in deciding on various
sizes and models and may be of some use in speed calculation.

 I would like to ask about wire wheels and tubeless casings. I am
just getting running again and need to replace old cracked tires which
have tubes (and have needed no air in the last ten years of sitting!)
What I would like to know is whether tubes are available easily, and
whether they work well in radials that weren't really meant for them
(or, is there a non-tube solution for wire wheel users)?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627