Re: wheels & tyres

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Sat May 24 1997 - 13:42:57 CDT

Siegfried and Alpiners,

On Sat, 24 May 1997 09:41:19 -0400 siegfried <sdoerrer(at)ix.netcom.com>
writes:
>I'm running 175/70-13s radials with tubes- no problems (except tires
>are
>farily worn).
>
>Anybody know how to measure wheel offset? found some 15 inch wires
>from
>an mgb - thinking about purchasing. I would prefer spoke wheels to
>fit
>but don't want to replace splined hubs.
>
>Siegfried

Offset is generally measured from the inside facing outer portion of the
rim (C)
to the center of tire section of the rim (A).

It is measured in this way so that the correct offset figure still works
with wider
rims.

C is the dimenstion from the rim to the mounting section.
A is half the width of the rim.
B is the width of the rim.

if C-A is the same between the two rims, the offset is the same, and
unless
the tire is just too tall or too wide, the offset is correct.

|<A> |
\----------/
        ||\
< c >||||
        ||/
  ----------
/ \
|< B >|

Some wheel mfgrs, spec offset as dimension C.

If Dim B "width" is the same on the 15 inch wheel, and dim C is the same,
the wheel will fit, although you are not likely to be able to put 4 1/2
inch wide
50 or 60 series tires on those 15 inch rims.

Hint....
The 15 inch rims and the 75 or 80 series tires that will fit it, are not
too likely
to clear the front valance.

Jarrid