Re: Ammeter

From: jarrid_gross(at)juno.com
Date: Mon May 26 1997 - 23:04:45 CDT

Alpiners,

On Mon, 26 May 1997 12:01:09 -0600 Terry McKitrick <tmckit(at)connect.ab.ca>
writes:

>I just installed my ammeter in my 1960 Series I. When I start the
>car, it
>dives straight left to -30, then comes back to centre, and stays
>there, at
>any r.p.m. Is it working?

Sounds like it's working, but it also sounds like your charging system is
not.

Suspect the regulator, then the generator.

The generator is easily tested with a voltmeter.

The regulator is not so easy to test, but most likely can be adjusted if
it is
functional.

The following will hold true only if you have a generator.
A properly funtioning system will show a moderate discharge during
cranking,
and say -5 to -10 amps at 900 RPM idle. The ammeter will begin to show
some charge at between 1200 and 1500 RPM. Just after starting, the
battery
will be in a state of partial discharge, so the ammeter will show a
significant
current flow to the battery (only if the engine is running above 1500
RPM).

My 1725 (with generator), will show a +30 amp charge just after startup,
then
drop down to around 3-5 amps in several minutes.

Alternator equipped cars will likely even charge at idle.

The charging system on the Early alpines is pretty straight forward, so
if
you need help diagnosing your problem, just drop me a line.

Jarrid Gross