RE: valves

From: Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) (GROSS(at)unit.com)
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 11:51:00 CDT

Chuck and Alpines,

>My series ll just decided all by its' self to dump water into the
>exaust. Now that i have the pleasure of trading gasket kits with it , i
>wonder if any one knows" how can i tell if the previous owner put in
>hardened valves and guides " as he said????
>

>~(;=( chuck

Its tought to tell without doing a distructive hardness test.

I am not aware of anyone making or selling Alpine specific hardened
valves/seats or guides. If such a source exists, would somebody
please inform the rest of us.

In general though, the Alpine valves are pretty hard as are the seats.
I have been told that the seats were made of stellite, but I have a
suspicion
that they really are not (Anyone know for sure?).

The Alpine head seems to do better than most with unleaded fuel, and
since I have my head apart from time to time, I can say I really dont
see
any significant wear on the valve/seat surfaces. I dont use any
additive,
just a good high octane unleaded fuel.

The guides however are a different story. The Alpine guides are made of
cast iron, and soft stuff at that. The valve stems seem to last
forever, but
at the onset of oil consumption, suspect first that your guides are
allowing
oil to be sucked into the intake.

Wont somebody out there make intake guides that can use off the shelf
stem seals?

I'll buy some I swear!

Jarrid Gross