Re: Zenith

From: William Lewis (wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu)
Date: Fri May 30 1997 - 16:16:05 CDT

On Fri, 30 May 1997 Klickitat(at)aol.com wrote:

> I have a set on my restored 62, and I too had the throttle shafts rebuilt.
> The problem is I can not (even with help) get it to idle or come off idle
> with out slipping the clutch. Once into the secondary's it runs fine. In
> trying to get it to idle I have the mixture screw all the way in or out,
> can't remember now and it still idles too rich. Any ideas??

When I originally put my carbs back on the car after rebuilding the
throttle shafts, I discovered that I had the plates reversed. The
throttle bodies are not interchangeable. The one in the front has a bleed
hole in the plate for the vacuum. If you reverse the plates, then you
will not have any vacuum advance.

If you can screw your idle screws all the way in, it suggests that you
still have a significant air leak somewhere. The first rebuild on mine
was not exact, and when I squirted water around the throttle plates the
idle would drop. Turned out that one of the bushings was leaking a lot.

Bill Lewis