Re: Oil filters

From: CHUCK NICODEMUS (SEALMSTR(at)ICCOM.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 11:34:13 CDT

Tony Leeming wrote:

> Jarrid Gross (Yorba Linda, CA) wrote:
> Sure enough, the filter had stress cracks along the welded
> > bead on the side of the filter. Good thing it said mopar on it, and I
> > had a reciept to show that the same dealer had installed it less
> > than 1000 miles earlier.
> >
> > I wonder if those Mopar filters are made by Peugoet in the old
> > Coventry factory where the ole alpines were made.
> > Wouldnt that be some serious Karma.
> >
> > Jarrid
>
> Here is some more info I gleaned from the MGB thread:
>
> On another BBS I saw a survey of oil filters and the rating (WORST to
> BEST) was: Fram, Pennzoil, Wix/Dana, Master Mechanic, Lee Maxi, Big-A,
> A/C, Mann. Not entirely sure of the test criteria, but filtering media
> area ranged from 118 sq.in. (Fram) to 307 sq.in. (Mann) and cannister
> wall thickness from .012 in. to .021 (Mann). The Mann is a German-made
> unit and is OEM supplied on a number of European cars. A unit that fits
> the later spin-on MGB's is available from Volvo dealers as part no.
> 3517857-3. This is equivalent to Fram PH-43 or Fram PH-16 which most of
> us are probably using.
> They're not as cheap as your average Wal-Mart Fram but the quality seems
> to be much better and I bought a case of 12 at a cost of $CDN 6.25 each.
>
> There you have it - more food for thought!
> Tony

  To all in the filter battle,,, I have one thing to say. I believe if you
buy a six dollar filter you are going to get a six dollar system. Now that i
found out the filter i was using was a less that two dollar filter( thanks
Tony.) I haven't even started the engine yet , but you can bet , i'll know
that the filter is the absoult best i can buy for the money. these LBC,
engine sare too rare for a cheep filter.
Nuff said,
chuck