getting my bearings

From: joe kleifges (hardchrome(at)netvalue.net)
Date: Wed Oct 08 1997 - 20:07:50 CDT

i have a question regarding bearing sizes and clearances.
 are clearances measured "per-side", as a total on one side, as per
silly string, or as the difference between bearing ID and journal OD.
 i have a crank with 2.095 crank journals, and a bearing set, that in the
rods, measures 2.099-2.100.
 the publisheed clearances in the book of rootes reads..
 .001-.0025 shall be the rod bearing clearance.
 there is no apparent statement of the measuring method, but i will check
in depth.
 is shimming of bearings an acceptable, reliable, and safe practice???
.001 shim per side will give me a neat .001-.0015 clearance.
 since my rods are not "assembly clean" i may have bumped up the size on
some grit, but 2.099-2.100 is a correct undersize according to the
catalogs and other materials

joe k