Alpine Race Tyres

From: MR RICHARD T TRENK SR (GDWF22A(at)prodigy.com)
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 20:51:42 CDT

I used Revolution alloy wheels custom made to obtain max allowed
track front and rear.
Tires were Goodyear race slicks but I forget the size now but we had
approx 9.25 section width.
These were the max we could handle on the allowed 6.0" wheel width.
Air was at 28psi front and 30 psi rear (cold).
We did NOT intend to slide but when at the edge of adhesion the rear
broke loose (oversteer) and corners were taken under power and the
angle of the car actually carefully controlled with the throttle.
With all nylon suspension, rear torque arms, roll bars adjustable
front and rear and some carefully selected shock actions we obtained
really superior lateral G's. Front end alignment is a secret..I
still sell some things ya know ! Front suspension was rebuilt to
lower the roll center and also the front spring towers were welded up
to add rigidity and solve early breakage problems. Interior roll
cage went all the way to the radiator frame and added to entire front
end stiffness. The wheel weighting was carefully adjusted with
spring shimming and other tricks, to obtain exactly same left/right
weights both front and rear.
It took $30,000 and years to sort out handling to where it was
superior to most other class cars.
Of course Lotus-7 gave me fits but then I consoled myself that my
usual nemisis later fessed up that he ran a big cheater engine.
Dick T.