Re: servo rebuilt

From: Ray Frazier (ray(at)why.net)
Date: Fri Oct 17 1997 - 13:50:25 CDT

If this is the piston that has the circlip in the bore and is actuated by
the vacuum rod then this may help....I Know this does not sound kosher but
my control valve was jammed in my servo and the only way I got it out was to
remove the circlip, let it soak over night in penetrating oil, then beat the
heck out of it. Well almost. I placed a piece of cardboard on my garage
floor and tapped (read banged) the end of the servo that had been attached
to the vacuum housing against the floor. The inertia of the downward action
makes the piston move a little inside the unit. The cardboard helped keep
from damaging the servo but you must be very careful to strike the floor
flat to minimize damage. it took a while as the piston moved very slowly
and I had to build up my comfort level that I wasn't doing damage to the
servo. Also, after I had it apart I realized that if everything else is off
the unit it should not damage it to soak it in carburetor cleaner like the
one gallon cans that Berrymans makes. Hope this helps.

Ray Frazier Series 3

 By the way if after all your effort you find your unit is not rebuildable I
could really use the bushing that is inserted in the end of this bore. Its
the one that is apparently made of Bakelite and has a triangular flange on
it.