re: 1600 cranks & exhaust fumes

From: Agent 86 (anthonyr(at)aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU)
Date: Wed Oct 22 1997 - 20:11:27 CDT

Hi,

Tom, I think the 1600 cranks were different for the iron head and the alloy
head engines. The alloy head engines getting better cranks, so make sure
it's from an alloy head engine.

Steve, about the exhaust smells: when you open the front windows on just
about any car most of the air is going out of the window, because of
various factors but mainly I think because the air going around the car is
having to travel around it and this causes its pressure to drop thereby
sucking air out of the car. In my Minx I used to open the back windows to
get some fresh air coming back in.

The source of the fumes will either be the engine compartment or the
exhaust pipe. If the boot (trunk) seals are no good then with the windows
open the exhaust will be sucked into the car via the boot (trunk) even with
an exhaust in perfect condition. Also, I don't know about the US cars but
on the early Alpines, at least, there is an engine breather which opens
into the engine bay from the pushrod cover on the RHS of the engine. Hence
there will be fumes under the bonnet. If any of the fire-wall hole grommets
are cracked or absent then the fumes can enter the car from here.

My fumes almost completely disappeared when I ensured that all of these
holes were sealed. Also the summer cabin temperature dropped radically when
this heated air stopped coming into the car.

Anthony, Series II.

PS: I have recently typed out the first review of an Alpine published in
Australia. It's quite long but if anyone wants a copy I'll be happy to
email it as an attachment or as a message. Or if whoever runs this show and
the webpage emails me then I can send a copy and it could be put on the
webpage for all to read.