Re: Birthday/Carbs/G's

From: am33(at)cornell.edu
Date: Fri Oct 24 1997 - 16:18:28 CDT

A quick word about slip angle: A tire will offer the best cornering, not
when it is pointed directly where you want to go, because it will always
slip (a sort of push/understeer) a little. So, slip angle can be from a
couple degrees to 6-ish degrees angled more than where the car is
actually going to go. So, to get the best traction from all four tires,
the car would probably be a couple degrees sideways. (Not necessarily the
slip angle of the tires, but probably a bit less, since the rear wheels
don't turn. The slip angle thing wasn't all that important anyway. What I
did want to point out, is that cornering force is independent of the
radius of the skid pad circle. Don't think of it as a speed the car can
reach, but rather the time to get around the circle. If the radius is
larger, there is more ground to cover, but the car can go faster and
lateral g's will be the same. I'm going to check on the proper formula to
calculate lateral g's later and get back to you.

Second, I never said difference in weight makes no difference, just a
very minute one (at least until you get to extremes). I'm going to get that
straight before I say anything else about it, but it's simple vector
distribution. Also, if weight is distributed farily evenly above and
below the center of gravity, roll should not change, only if a lot of
weight is added high up, and a decent suspension geometry should minimize
camber change through suspension travel. An example: the BMW M3. R&T or
C&D did a $35K+ car test or something like that a month or two ago. The
M3 has a staggering amount of roll, but excellent suspension geometry
that allow it to corner as well as, if not better, than anti-roll bars
with engines like an F355. In fact, it had the best overall handling. So,
roll really isn't an issue.

And one more time: best way around a skid pad is at constant speed. As
long as the speed is attainable by the car (I've never had any problems
reaching 30 or 40 mph in my Alpine), torque, hp, etc. is irrelevant.

Age