Re: body panel seams

From: Christopher Albers (Christopher.Albers(at)bubbs.biola.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 02 1998 - 15:52:45 CST

jarrid_gross(at)juno.com,Internet writes:

>On Sat, 31 Jan 1998 20:35:17 EST EJMW(at)aol.com writes:

>>Finally I have my new valance.
>>It came the other day from Best of British in Boulder CO. seams to
>>be pretty
>>good.
>>What I need to know however is do I leave the seam on the side of the
>>fender
>>where it joins the valance showing or do I fill it. Same goes for the
>>seam in
>>the rear of the car where the quarter panel joins the rear valance
>>there is a
>>vertical seam. Shouold that be filled? with what? lead ? body seam
>>caulk?
>>By the way my car is a serII.

>The factory correct method for hiding the seams on the SII was to lead
>fill
>the first inch or so of the the seam. The rest is just left open.

>It originally was leaded, which is what I recommend that you
>do as well. Bondo or any sealant will allow the paint to crack due to
>flex and expansion.

>The same was done both front and rear.

>Jarrid Gross

I think a softer paint like acrylic enamel will not crack. My paint
and body guy has done the same on American cars without incident. He
also filled the seams on my car. Granted, I've not started driving the
car, which is the real test, but so far so good. I guess I'll just
have to wait and see if my paint & body guy knew what he was talking
about.

Christopher Albers