Re: Temp. calibration and Alternator ?

From: Chris S. Mottram (Chris.S.Mottram(at)ecc.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 10:41:26 CST

Chris S. Mottram(at)ECCI
02/25/98 11:41 AM

Paul Wrote>>>
I'll bring home a hot plate and a beaker and immerse the sensor in
boiling water to get a 212 F point. Is there a way to adjust the output
from the gauge. I just put in a three core radiator and had a
thermowell brazed into the bottom of the radiator just below the bottom
hose connection. The lowest temp. switch that I could find makes at 198
F. This switches a pusher fan. I think I will try to run the car with
a 10 psig cap around 210-220. I would like to adjust the gauge to go
into the red at 220. Is this possible?? How??<<<<

I have done this by adding a resistor in the wire between the sending unit
and the gauge. I think it was in the 1/2 to 1 ohm range (forgive me all
you EE's if I just commited some horrible electronic unit of measure faux
pas ;-)) This seems to prorate the temperature across the spectrum (i.e.
knocks off x% of the reading at any given temperature. It gets the temp
gauge to read closer to what I felt it should be but it is not perfect.
All that being said, I assumed for a year that my gauge was incorrect and
my car was running cooler than indicated. I pulled the head and found lots
of corrosion blocking the water passages. I think that was the real
cuprit. Now if I can only get the darned thing put back together. It's 70
degrees outisde here in Atlanta today!

Chris