Re: Stud for Higher

Christopher Albers (Christopher.Albers(at)bubbs.biola.edu)
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 21:05:59 -0800

Chris.S.Mottram(at)ecc.com,Internet writes:

>Chris S. Mottram(at)ECCI
>03/02/98 10:10 PM

>What kind of a valve cover gasket are you guys using out there? On my
>SV,
>I tried to use the cork gasket from Rick at S.S. and it is too thick.
>The
>studs don't protrude thought the valve cover to allow me to attach then
>nuts. My "fix" was simple. Glue the gasket to a piece of corrogated
>cardboard, run it through my router table and shave off about half of
>it's
>thickness. Well, it didn't stick to the cardboard good enough and it
>was
>sucked into the router bit and chewed beyond repair. I have 1 more
>left,
>but I don't think I'll be using the router. maybe the table saw........

>Any suggestions?

>Chris

>From: "Chris S. Mottram" <Chris.S.Mottram(at)ecc.com>
>Subject: Stud for Higher
>Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:10:30 -0500

Wow! That was a lot of work just to save a gasket. Why not just purchase a longer set of studs? I am sure you could find what you want at most quality auto parts suppliers, if that doesn't work try a fastner supply store. You could also buy some that are a bit too long and cut them down if you get desperate. And if you are really desperate just go out and buy your own steel rod stock and cut your own threads. Good luck.

Christopher '67 SV od BRG