rear brakes

From: tmckit(at)connect.ab.ca
Date: Fri Apr 02 1999 - 18:28:21 CST

My series I was making metalic sounds from the rear when I parked it last fall.
I just pulled the offending shoes off, and replaced them with ones from my
series III parts car (much better condition, lots of meat left). When I put
the drum back on, it was very tight to get it back around the meatier brake
shores (hammer required). I now have great brakes, including when it is at
standstill, and they are not applied. The car cannot be pushed by hand
anymore, but it does drive without pulling in the direction of the new pads.
I measured both the drum, and the distance between the outside of the new
pad at exactly 9 inches. It just appears to be a real tight 9 inches. Do I
have a potential fire hazard? Is this normal for new drums? Should I just
drive short distances at low speed until they wear down?
Rookie brake mechanic
Terry