Re: pitch / tar

From: John Slade (edalsj(at)igs.net)
Date: Sat Apr 10 1999 - 08:29:36 CDT

I've stripped a number of Alpines and Mk 1 Tigers and all had the same
under-carpet material. I've never found pitch or tar, which I would
construe as being somewhat randomly applied, or poured in. What I have
found in each case was as follows.

All the floor depressions contained matching cut-outs of auto felt,
about 3/8" thick. They were probably glued in to each depression. Over
the top of these, and over most of the rest of the floor and exposed
horizontal surfaces, including the rear seat shelf, were layers of what
I call roofing felt, or thick tar paper, each layer being about 1/8"
thick. In some places there was only one layer of this, in others there
were a couple of layers. I think over time, with the heat generated
under the floor, some of this tends to bond together and give the
appearance of a less formal application.

In the car I smashed a couple of years ago, I was able to remove
virtually all of this material complete, section by section. It has been
refurbished where necessary, and is about to be re-installed in the body
which is just back from the paint shop.

John Slade
B9401380 (freshly painted)
B9470349