RE: PCV Valves and tuning

From: Jarrid Gross (JGross(at)econolite.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 10:37:24 CDT

Welcome.

>I have proper (by the tag #) brand-new Stromberg's (I purchased them
>while in the UK a few years back) with good diaphrams, and a 'working'
>original PCV valve with original flame trap (cleaned), a non-vented
>oil cap, and the dashpots are filled with 30wt. I've installed a new
>intake gasket (including the stainless 'slipper' plate) and checked
>the intake joints for leaks (the old 'pump sprayer full of water'
>method - fairly effective, usually). All seems OK. I am stumped,
>though not the first time, I assure you!
>
>Any clues as to what may be amiss?
>
>Kevin McLemore

It was allready said by Lewis, but the most mallady with stombergs is
the famous worn front shaft. It wears because of the force put on it
by the carbs linkage and the carbs return spring.
High milage carbs usually suffer from this, and the tell tale is always
that you can get either a good idle, or good power, but not both.

However, If you are certain that pulling the "choke" helps ailing power
performance, this is the opposite that you would expect from the jetting
position needed to make it idle well.

To verify if the shafts are the cullpret, take your sync meter, and
check sync at smooth idle, and at 3500 RPM dring the same setting.
If the shaft is worn, they wont be in sync at both points.

Here are some other things to look for.

1)
If the jets wear, thier relationship to the needles are altered, and
drivability will suffer.

2)
If the needles wear, or become corroded, see #1.

3) If the pistons dont smoothly move up and down with "the click" you
will have problems.

4) Dashpot pistons can wear out, "there is oil in the dashpots right?"

5) The throttle shaft link (twin sets of U joints) if sloppy will yield
variable carb sync problems.

Rather than using the choke to verify weather you are running rich or lean,
consider installing an EGO sensor in your exhaust system, and reading it
with
a voltmeter.

This will tell you definatively what the A/F status is for your engine as
sometimes
what seems like a lean mixture is actualy a poorly atomised "rich" mixture,
that
just wont burn.

For a permanent EGO/O2 meter setup see...
http://www.splitsec.com/products/electronics.htm

tell them jarrid sent ya.

Jarrid