Re: Flat Top Pistons and Chevy Rods

From: Jarrid Gross (jarrid_gross(at)earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 25 1999 - 02:06:50 CDT

RSpontelli(at)aol.com wrote:

> Pretty straightforward description of the rod/piston situation, but sort of
> neglected talking about all the beef you need to take off the crankshaft.

Not quite the case.

It seems that chevy rod journals come in two flavors 2.000, which I used,
and 2.100, which is used on newer SB chevy's, and 383/400 chevy's.

If I had used the 2.100 flavor, I would only have had to remove .025
from the crank, which would have been just fine.

The problem there is with the larger rod big ends, you dont stand a chance
at all of fitting the rod big ends down the alpine bores during engine
assembly.

This woulndt have been an issue with my engine, because I installed the
rods to the pistons while the pistons were allready in the block, from the
crank side of the engine.

Anyone ever seen that done before?

Jarrid