Re: Series II water leak

From: Armand & Lorie Ritchie (ritchie(at)mcn.org)
Date: Mon Nov 01 1999 - 08:31:32 CST

Hi Dave, how's things across the pond. I had a series1 way back when and
the bolts that go through from the top of the expansion tank were really
rusted up on mine. So be careful when removing them. And you will have to
wire brush the threads before reinserting them. I used a paper gasket and
purple gasket shillac. Worked okay after I sanded smooth the mating
surfaces. You have to get those bolts "tight" but too tight will strip out
the thermostate housing below. So be careful and tighten them evenly. You
can replace the water pump without removing the radiator, just be careful
not to bang the fins when your messing about in there. Have fun.

regards Armand

>The talk of water leaks from the thermostat area has reminded me that my
>series II has a water leak from either the thermostat housing or the water
>pump which I wish to repair this winter rather than rely on the 'Radweld'.
>I have the expansion tank above the thermostat and can't see how to remove
>this, do I have to remove the radiator to access the bolts? I presume I
>have to to remove the radiator to remove the thermostat and water pump?
>
>I will try the method suggested of smoothing the flanges with the glass
>paper.
>
>I have had trouble sourcing a water pump gasket (I am in the UK) and was
>propsing to use a sealant which doesn't need a gasket, has anyone tried
>these, they claim miracles on the box.
>
>Dave
>
>IMPORTANT NOTICE:
>This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
>intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or
>reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
>offence. Please delete if obtained in error and email confirmation to the
>sender.

ritchie(at)mcn.org
Armand & Lorie Ritchie