website wanderings

From: Jerome Yuzyk (jerome(at)supernet.ab.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 08 1999 - 22:23:56 CST

Over the last couple months I've been moving all my websites to a new
home, on a machine about four feet behind me to my left. For anyone that
cares about technical details, read the Colophon on my main page. In
short, it's a cast-off 486 running Linux connected to a cablemodem. Cost
me $200 total ($100 for the machine, $60 for Linux, $40 for a good
book) and a little time.

I don't know how long the old place will be up, but I won't maintain it
anymore and one day might even delete the old stuff (all the full-size
images are already gone). Four years ago I prepaid for 6 months of
service, and was never billed again. My collection grew quite large, and
could never quite believe that I could use over 100M of space on a
for-money web server and not have an admin notice something, even if
Billing didn't. But, the uncertainty and lack of full server control
got in the way of some other things I want to do, and the opportunity to
do some good old-fashioned (Microsoft-less) computing was an added
attraction.

There's nothing really really new yet, since I wanted to migrate
everything first, but there will be. There are some updates to My
Alpines List Archives, and some new pictures on Rob Martel's site.

So, if you have links to any of my sites, you might as well change them
now. There are "tossers" on the "home" page for each site. If you have
made any links to ".../section/document.htm" you will need to replace
them with links to the new "home." Just this afternoon I got rid of the
"You are going to" pages that take you from the basic address I show in
signatures and things to the actual "home" page and the switch happens
automatically. If you publish a "home page" address anywhere use the
short form shown below.

     Jerome's Sunbeam Pages http://www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam
  The Sunbeam Auto Showroom http://www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam/webring

     Rob Martel Enterprises http://www.bss.ab.ca/rme

and eventually,

    The SUNI III Home Pages http://www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam/suni3

I don't know what performance is like, but after a month or so this box
hasn't come anywhere near to breaking a sweat under a growing load so
there's likely plenty of capacity for my sites' audiences and content. I
figure I can handle 50 simultaneous users without anyone noticing. One
point of failure is that my IP address is assigned dynamically and can
change, which means I have to notify my domain name registrar and have
the change propogate out to all the servers you use to turn
"www.bla.com" into a real Internet address. My registrar is pretty
fast, and a friend and I provide a secondary registry for each other, so
downtime ought to be minimal. In a month I might just ante up the extra
bucks/month and get a fixed IP address and leave that hassle behind.

Enjoy.

--

= J e r o m e Y u z y k | jerome(at)supernet.ab.ca = BRIDGE Scientific Services | www.bss.ab.ca = Sunbeam Alpine Series II #9118636 | www.bss.ab.ca/sunbeam