Re: Leaf Springs (continued)

From: Ron Tebo (tebomr(at)cadvision.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 06:09:52 CST

Irwin J Kostal wrote:

> Listers: Forgot to mention that I am in the Los Angeles area, so
> recommendations should be for Southern California.
>
> TIA,
>
> Irv

Irv:

I would recommend you go to the nearest large spring and axle
manufacturing facility to ask about re-tempering vs. the cost of having
new springs made or your chances of obtaining replacements, but
re-tempering is a legitimate process. All springs are made of a medium
carbon steel which means that they can be annealed (softened) and
formed, then reheated and quenched (cooled at a controlled rate in oil,
water, lime, sand, etc.) to produce the proper state of hardening
(temper). Your "tired" springs would go through this process again, and
if properly done, would be as good as new.

Ron Tebo