Re: Classic & sports car Nov issue

From: Christopher Albers (Christopher.Albers(at)bubbs.biola.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 11 1999 - 18:43:13 CST

rnanzig(at)webtv.net writes:
> There is an interesting article in the current C & SC about London
>police using Sunbeam Tigers as chase vehicles in the mid sixties. They
>point out how the rack and pinion steering was so far ahead of it's time
>which made me wonder if anyone has ever fitted Tiger steering to an
>Alpine and if so , is the improvement worth the cost and effort?

It is my understanding that the R & P steering on the Tiger was not
quite as nice as one might think. Evidently mounting it in front of
the engine gave the Tiger some squirrely handling characteristics. I
had always thought the Alpine was supposed to handle better. Then
again, I've been wrong plenty o' times before.

CNA