Fw: Torque links

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Torque links
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 11:58:38 -0500
In normal day to day traffic you probably wouldn't notice much, if any
difference. In situations where the springs are quickly loaded, fast lane
changes, your bump situation, etc. the spring / torque bar combo is put into
a mutual bind then rapidly released snapping the rear loose. It's aggravated
by the extreme forward weight bias also. 56 / 44% with a full tank of gas,
which of course gets worse as the tank nears empty, further reducing
traction. I bought mine on a whim and didn't even notice it had links. The
first evening I accelerated hard up an uphill on ramp and quickly flicked
over to the fast lane I went into a car's equivalent of a motorcycle "tank
slapper". As I angled right into the fast lane it snapped left, hard.
Between my countersteering and continuing rear right, left binding; I had my
hands full to say the least. At first I thought I had had a blowout, since
this is what it felt like. Once I had a chance to check the car in detail,
off came the bars. Yes, a swaybar is a must for high speed control, plus a
watts linkage to control side to side motion.

GM