Love/Hate Relationship - Those Gullwing doors...

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Love/Hate Relationship - Those Gullwing doors...
From: Godly Krew <GodlyKrew@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 02:23:00 EST
Hey all,
Its been a while since my hydraulic doors worked.  Now that the electrical is
up and running, I need to know how to bleed the system and get all the air
pockets out.  When I first got my car, the hydraulic pump would make a
growling sound and I assumed it was the normal noise it made.  Now it can pump
the fluid fine, but doesnt make the noise anymore.  Is that because i have too
many air pockets?  My dad and I tried a whole bunch of ways to bleed the
system by making the cylinder suck fluid into the system, shutting the valve I
put at the bottom of the cylinder, and closing the door and everything else we
could think of.

Since I do not have the money for the air doors, I was wondering if I could
upgrade in stages.  For example, I could buy the compressor and the vacuum
pump and set up the switches to activate the air compressor when pressing the
UP button and suck air out of the cylinder to lower the door with the DOWN
button.  I realize this setup may be harder on the equipment and slower, but I
cannot afford to buy the air tank and the control unit right now, considering
that I need two door brackets and a pair of new cylinders already.

The solenoid inside the door has a wire (now disconnected) that could have
easily caused a dead short.  It was that way when I bought the car.  its the
wire that goes out of the door under the roof T section.  I fear I will need
to remove the door skins.
If i have to do that, I might as well install an easier window crank setup so
I can add a JC Whitney Power Window kit while I am at it.  Any recommendations
on a make and model that has the eaiser crank would be great =)

I do not have the latches on my doors so I wont have to crawl in through the
rear hatch.

Any used air door kits, cylinders, or center consoles in good condition would
be a great help too...

Thanks,
Riley Marquis III
VIN 1758
(714) 893-6794

Paul, If you still have those parts (like the console) please let me know =)