Fw: Brick, fiberglass work

To: "Bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Brick, fiberglass work
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:23:38 -0500
> > Got a couple of questions:
> >
> > 1. As I've said, I pulled the seat and trunk pans out of 887.  On the
> bottom
> >    of the trunk pan around the battery and door compartments has a lot
of
> >    junk.  Sort-of looks like aligator skin.  I don't know if this is a
> >    build up of dirt or if the outer layer of fiberglass (resin) is
> breaking
> >    down.  I cleaned most of it off with a sander.  Anybody else noticed
> >    this, and or know what it is?
=======
Mine was like that when new. My guess is they pulled the parts from the mold
before it was completely cured, or the mold didn't have enough blow holes,
causing a partial delaminating of the surface coat.
=======

> > 2. I've sanded all the old glue off the fiberglass.  Now this means that
> >    did sand slightly into the fiber glass floor/trunk pans.  I need to
do
> >    a little fix up work on these anyway.  So I planed to cover the
entire
> >    top and bottom of the panels with fiberglass resin.  My question is,
> >    I plan on using the glue that is used on Corvets, a semi-rigid poly-
> >    eurothaine (sp).  Should I know have an exterior coating of resin
along
> >    the areas where the glue is going?  Does it make any difference?
=======
Any bonding area that has exposed glass fibers should be sealed first with
epoxy resin for best adhesion. I don't know whether or not it will make any
difference, but why gamble?

GM