Re: Bricklin weight (Rotary)

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bricklin weight (Rotary)
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 01:32:15 EDT
Wow that sounds very interesting.  I have had some experience with RX-7s and
think it is basically a great engine.  With the 4-port engines, you could
double the horsepower just by changing the carbuerator and adding headers and
a more open exhaust, that with no or very mild porting. The engines were very
simple: I had a 4-port 13B engine with twin SU carburettors (from Eamon
Hurley in England, http://www.hurley-engineering.ltd.uk/) that had a total of
three hoses in the engine compartment, two for fuel, and one for vacuum
advance.   Adding turbos makes it a different animal, more power but much
more complicated and more things that have to be adjusted and working
harmoniously. It was not easy to make turbos work on a rotary, and I honestly
doubt there are too many places besides Peter Farrell, Pettit, and a couple
in California that can actually build, maintain, and tune a twin turbo
rotary. Hmm, maybe it is the perfect engine for the Bricklin after all : )
If Peter Farrell  Supercars were not 20 miles from my house, there is no way
I would go near a turbo rotary.
On the other hand, if you know what you are doing (which I do not claim to)
have at it.  Have you considered using a triple rotor?  You might be able to
find a used 20B triple for less than $4000, and rebuild it.  Eamon Hurley,
whom I got my intakes from, actually built triple rotor engines himself, from
"scratch."  He was the only person outside the Mazda factory to do it and he
did not use any electronic engine controls at all, even in the distributor.
400 HP, carbureated. I hear now he has built the worlds only 6-rotor engine.
Have fun, I was salivating about your plans for the rest of the car.
George Curley (#220, 489, 670)