horn question

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: horn question
From: "dmcturbo turbo" <turbodmc@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:53:24 -0500
OK I now have a good understanding of the horn circuit on a Bricklin and
have located where the problem is but need some help.

The black horn wire from the center of the steering wheel (under the horn
button) has a brake or open in it between where it is soldered to the
steering column and where it comes out at the bottom of the steering column.
Note: the horn wire in the connector at the base of the steering column is
the solid black wire about the 3rd from the end, the other black wires in
that connector have a stripe to differentiate them. The black wire then goes
through the firewall to the horn relay and when it is grounded trips the
relay and applies 12vdc to the horns via the dark green wire.

Here is my question, how do I gain access to the steering column.
I can take the steering wheel off and the nut behind the wheel off (not me
the other nut behind the wheel that is) with no problem but how do you
disassemble the steering column or gain access to the wiring in the steering
column?

Is the horn wire on some type of slip ring and is this a common problem with
Bricklins?

Mike D.
NY Vin 1557