Re: horn question

To: "dmcturbo turbo" <turbodmc@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: horn question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:31:51 -0500
At 07:53 PM 2/10/01 -0500, you wrote:

>The black horn wire from the center of the steering wheel (under the horn
>button) has a brake or open in it between where it is soldered to the
>steering column and where it comes out at the bottom of the steering column.
>Note: the horn wire in the connector at the base of the steering column is
>the solid black wire about the 3rd from the end, the other black wires in
>that connector have a stripe to differentiate them. The black wire then goes
>through the firewall to the horn relay and when it is grounded trips the
>relay and applies 12vdc to the horns via the dark green wire.

You've got it.

>Here is my question, how do I gain access to the steering column.
>I can take the steering wheel off and the nut behind the wheel off (not me
>the other nut behind the wheel that is) with no problem but how do you
>disassemble the steering column or gain access to the wiring in the steering
>column?

With a lot of difficulty! :)  I wrote an article about this for The
Brickline last April.

1. You need to remove the horn button.
2. Remove the Nut holding the hub to the shaft.
3. Remove the steering wheel hub.  You will need a puller pull the hub off
   of the splines on the shaft.

Now you're down to the guts of the steering col.

>Is the horn wire on some type of slip ring

Yup!  It's the canceling cam.  To get to it, you need to remove the C clip
that holds the locking plate in place.  You will need a special C clip/
locking plate removal tool.

>and is this a common problem with Bricklins?

Not really.  The steering column is very common.  But the problem can be on
either side of the canceling cam.  There is a pin that comes up through the
hub and connects to the horn button.  This could be messed up. Or the
problem could be on the bottom side of the cancelling cam where it gets
connected to the black wire from the horn relay.

There are 2 of you that are having this problem right now.  But I wouldn't
say this is unique to the B.

Good luck.