Re: Pics of worlds ugliest Bricklin: part duex

To: alphachi@writeme.com
Subject: Re: Pics of worlds ugliest Bricklin: part duex
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:51:51 EST
Stephan,

Thanks for those opinions; be sure to let me know if I can help you sell any
of your cars :)  Responses below.

>but then is it still a B?  That is highly debatable.   More like a kit car.

Debatable?  No, read the rules.  Using that "logic" would eliminate a very
high percentage of ALL restored cars of ANY make.  And antique airplanes too
for that matter.  While original parts are preferable, it is acceptable to
fabricate exact reproductions of parts no longer available.  If that were not
allowed, no one would operate any antique vehicles, since any part that
became worn out could only be replaced with an "original."

>And at what cost $$$? I could see if the car was worth $200k restored, but
>for one worth maybe $20k TOPS?

The going market price and "worth" are not the same thing.  Most people who
collect and restore Bricklins are not doing it for the potential economic
returns from resale.  We are crazy, not stupid.

>A good car for those impossible to find parts that taken separately, are
worth >restoring an installing on a car with some potential.

If you want to cannibalize your cars there is nothing I can do about it.  All
I am trying to do is keep this one from that fate.  There are a plenty of
Bricklins far worse off that have been restored.  Just because you or I would
not take that course of action does not mean it is not an appropriate choice
for someone else.  You don't have to buy it.  I don't want to sell it to
anyone who does not know what they are getting into, or for parts.

By the way I don't think the frame has those serious rust problems.  TT
looked it over a while back, and interested parties can bang on it, crawl
underneath, take a core sample, look inside with a borescope, or whatever.

George #220, 489, 670