Re: Some newbie questions for ya's!

To: "bricklin" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Some newbie questions for ya's!
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@mnsi.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:05:14 -0500
I'll answer a few that I know with out looking,

> 1)Which way are the gas-assist door stuts supposed to be mounted(Strut
body up  or down??)

The rule that seems to apply here is the body of the strut near the center
of the car. so if your car is one with struts that attach to the bird cage
near the center it is body down, if you have a car that they attach to the
birdcage near the outer edge and the door near the center they are body up.
I don't know which is better  but I have cars that are both ways.

> 2)I put in a new outside door keylock(from terry tanner) and the doors
still open in either lock position?? (BTW: the old lock was jammed so I
don't know if it ever worked)

Check the wiring, the lock should work like a switch, when 'unlocked' there
should be power on both sides, when 'locked' there should only be power  on
the 'in' side and open on the 'out' side of the lock

> 3)What is the air pressure regulator suppossed to do. Wherever I put it
the compressor shuts off at 100psi and the doors open and close kinda slow

The regulator regulates the air pressure through it to the door cylinders.
it does not control the compressor. At 100 psi the doors should work pretty
quick. if they don't close quick there is one of two problems, first they
could be binding on rust hinges or the hinges could be very misaligned and
binding. second the may be a restriction in the air lines or cylinders. the
doors are real heavy and come down by gravity. the usually work pretty quick
on the way down. oil the hinges and add some ATF (auto trans fluid) to the
cylinders to lube them.

> 4)My right side headlight goes up, then down when I fire the car up??

this is known as the bricklin shuffle, all headlights dance when you start
the car. the 'default' position for the headlights are up and the system
depends on vacuum to hold them down. When you start the car the they
momentarily loose vacuum and dance around a bit. I have even had them do it
under hard acceleration.

> 5)No reading from speedo, but Odometer and trip odometer work fine. I
assume I need a new speedo head unit?

looks that way  to me, there are companies that can repair and recalibrate
the original unit

> 6)Someone put a Flex fan on my car and I want to go back to stock. I have
the correct fan and a new clutch, but seem to be missing a spacer between
the waterpump and clutch? If so, where can and get one. Anyone know what
size studs screw into the water pump?

There is no spacer on my 75, I'm not sure about 74's as mine was apart when
I bought it and still is. There is a space between the fanm and teh rad
which is why you need a shroud

> 7)to change the fuel sender, must the tank be removed(No reading on gauge)

Before you pull the tank check to make sure you have a good ground on the
tank and that the gauge and wiring is good. if you ground the sending unit
wire the gauge should read full (with the key on of course). If the wire is
broken or corroded between the tank and the gauge the gauge won't work nor
will it if the tank is not grounded.