Re: Concours rules re doors

To: blisson@sprint.ca, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Concours rules re doors
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 21:02:17 +0000
====
[snip...]
I would like to bring up the point that these rules (if they have not
already been updated) could be changed to take into account the fact that
most of our cars have been converted from hydraulic to air for opeation. The
doors are the most outstanding part of our cars and
conversion to air is the only practical way to use our cars....
====
I'm really not knowledgable about Concours events, but it's my understanding
that they're about the preservation/restoration to exactly original
condition.  I agree 100% that to be able to live with the car, the air door
conversion makes sense.  But Concours isn't about making the car practical
or livable.

In fact, I'd contend that the impracticality of the hydraulic doors is a
good argument for why air doors *should* be penalized.  It takes a
tremendous dedication to keep the car in a purely original state.

Personally, I want a car I can drive, and that's why I'm doing very
extensive mods.  But I like knowing that there are people out there doing
musem-quality restos to preserve a living record of these cars in the
original state.

So here's a big hat's off to all B owners that are helping the cause, either
by driving these cars and making mods so that they can live with them day to
day, or by doing those every-hose-clamp-right restos.

Cheers,
--
Phil Martin
"All I ever dream of, is a farm and field of green bud"