dubious cooling methods, et al.

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: dubious cooling methods, et al.
From: "Mitwelt" <mitwelt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:19:18 -0400
Some history: lets see, there was the remove the hood seal fad, that didn't
last too long, then there was the cutting of the actual fenders to
accommodate little hood scoops, that didn't last too long either.  At least
with the former, the damage was not permanent, providing fumes entering the
passenger compartment did not overwhelm the driver/owner.  And then of
course, there is the wonderfully "simple" modification of attaching a newly
designed air dam/scoop.  I'm still have expecting the pixie dust rumor to
begin (again?).  Almost makes ya think Malcom is still around.  Most of the
results reported are based on methods not even approaching scientific
modality, some, not even common sense or reason.  However, being Bricklin
owners, what the hell do we know about common sense (or reason)?

TT at one time tried a single elec fan, but in place of the mech. one.
This was not very successful, understandably.  The idea of TWO elec fans,
one in front, and one behind, is at the very least (or most) avant garde.
I've rarely seen manufacturers even attempt this.  The rather small gain in
actual power by removing the mech comes at the expense of an extremely high
amp draw and utter elec dependency.    The idea of a pusher elec boosting
the mechanical puller is quite common nowadays, and besides actually working
well, it seems to draw on the best both have to offer.  Whether you use a
single pusher or twin depends on many factors, just pay attention to amp
draw and CFM and don't forget to put in some kind of temp control and never
ever ever use those little plastic push through connectors.  Of course, many
of us still have a half empty and somewhat rusted can filled with some kind
of miracle concoction that promised to lower temps by *at least* 20 degrees!
Again, we are Bricklin owners, highly individual, a little nutz, and
sometimes, remarkably funny.

stephan #2821