Re: 1975 Engine Mods - NO MORE SMOG

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1975 Engine Mods - NO MORE SMOG
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 04:45:59 -0500
You will be fine, dropping the egr, air pump etc will not any appreciable
difference. The only reason the trans is mentioned is that when you add more
performance you tend to loose a bit of low end torque, this affects the
"launch" of the car. The 75' used a ford FMX transmission that has no
performance parts available for it. The 74's used a torqueflite 727
(Chrysler with AMC bolt pattern) which has a plethora of performance
upgrades. If you choose to go much beyond a mild cam on a ford the car will
not leave well so a trans change would be required for real high
performance. it will be OK for mild street engines just don't get too hog
wild or you will be in for more work.
 Btw removing  the egr could actually reduce performance. the goal of the
egr to inject a small amount of exhaust into the intake charge to reduce the
burn temperature of combustion, The  egr actually artificially increases
octane by this injection of unburnable gas. This does 3 things, reduces NOX
( the reason they did it) reduces detonation ( you can run more timing) and
reduces cylinder temperatures (any reduction in temps are welcomed on a
brick). everybody thinks the egr is pollution control and pollution control
killed performance. It is not the egr that did it, it was the reduction of
compression ratio that they did at the same time that killed performance,
the egr just made the low compression engines cleaner and more drivable. If
the car is tuned properly and the egr is working it will not open during
hard acceleration anyways so all out performance is not even affected.
Rick

> I see you guess mentioning having to swap the tranny in order to run
without an emissions setup, what is >that about?  I'm currently rebuilding
the 360 in my 74 and I don't plan on running the EGR or other emissions
>stuff, I can't justify losing all that power and shoving all that carbon
into the intake. I have a block off plate for >the EGR and am fabricating a
plate for the heat stove.  Besides plugging the correct vaccum ports, am I
>missing anything?  I know there is a vaccum line running to the tranny but
I don't think it is involved with the >emissions system.