Distributor/Ignition advice??

To: buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributor/Ignition advice??
From: "Paul Erlandson" <perlands@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:53:02 -0400
Hello,

I have the Buick 215 engine in my '63 Olds F-85 wagon, and have been having
distributor problems.  A few of the times I've gotten stuck:

(1)  I bought one of those nifty clear plastic GM distributor caps.  It cracked
at the mounting location while I was driving.  I replaced the cap and rotor,
but did not check the dwell (single-points ignition).  It ran for about 20
miles, then ...

(2)  stalled again while going about 65 mph.  Wasn't getting a spark, so I
closed up the points a quarter turn, and it got me where I was going.

Question:  I am seriously looking at upgrading this distributor/ignition (I
think my cam lobes are pretty worn).  I am looking for a distributor I can just
drop in and forget about.  What is a good system to use?  I have MSD-6A boxes
in 2 other cars, and have been pretty pleased with them.  Would I do just as
well with a GM dual-points ignition?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Paul Erlandson
perlands@ford.com