Re: Buick-Leyland

To: amy_curt@pacbell.net, buick-rover-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Buick-Leyland
From: Gregory72@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 18:59:14 EDT
<Subj:   Re: Buick-Leyland
<Date:  10/8/98 4:30:34 PM EST
<From:  amy_curt@pacbell.net (Curt and Amy)
<To:    Gregory72@aol.com
<<
<
<Greg,
<On your topic of the 3.85 stroke 350 Buick, do you know if the Rod is the
<same as the 300-340 Buick, or
<is the Piston height to pin different from the 300-340.?
<
<You nailed the niche of the 300-340-350 Buick engines, for heavy cars that
<see low rpms.  I was going to put a 4.7L stroked Rover 3.9 into my 62
<Skylark ragtop, but after driving a similar coupe with a 340 in it, I
<quickly changed my mind. (machining and parts costs, reliability issues and
<a negative weight factor of only 100#)
<
<I've got a 64 300 block with aluminum heads and four barrel intake.  Needs
<to be bored, and was wondering if the 350 pistons would work with the 300
<rods.
<
<Thanks,
<Curt.,
<----------

Hi Curt
        The 340\350 rod length is 6.384" center to center.  Rod length on the
300 is
5.96".  Pin on the Buick 340 is the same as the 350\300.  I don't know if the
350 piston will work in the 300 block, although I DO know that Silvolite shows
the same part number for the 300 and 340 piston.  Apparently, they are the
same.
        A big, torquey but lazy reving motor is ideal for a Range Rover or a
sedan
(P5B like yours Simon!).  So... I'm not too disappointed.  Some good info will
come out of this.  The motor will work well with an automatic tranny.  Step on
the gas and GO!

Greg