Re: Letter from Down Under - Part 1

To: damienh@defcen.gov.au
Subject: Re: Letter from Down Under - Part 1
From: Daryl Webb <dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:22:23 +1030 (CST)
According to Damien Haas:

> It always irritates me when people slam the P76, but add the rider that
> 'the engine was OK though'.

Come on Damien, no need to be so defensive on this forum.   I think the
excerpt below is pretty correct.  Nothing actually wrong with the P76
(though I always called mine a P38, Burnt apricot, executive V8 auto with
beige vinyl roof and velour trim, should have never sold it :-(
BUT the Leyland australia quality control... the P76 wasnt the only
victim, what about *all* of the V8 landrovers with the front spring hangers
drilled in the wrong spot and quite a few with the actual hangers mounted
at an angle.

The P76 is one of those products that needed to be pulled to bits from
new then put back together *properly*.  Hell what can you say about a new
car that sets fire to itself simply because the manufacturer didnt
(initially) fit a heat shield between the exhaust and the rear floor...

> > It should be said,
> > however, that the P76 had possibilities and a lot of interesting features.
> > Unfortunately, Leyland Australia got it wrong.  Personally, because Leyland
> > had such a bad track record, I believe that if Ford, Chrysler or the General
> > had built the P76 and developed it properly, it could have been a good car.
> > Unfortunately, it was an absolute disaster.

cheers
--

  Daryl Webb   (dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au)