one cheer for the P38

To: Daryl Webb <dwebb@waite.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject: one cheer for the P38
From: Mike <mikshdik@ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 08:07:04 +1100 (EST)
>According to Damien Haas:

>>   Personally, because Leyland
>> > had such a bad track record, I believe that if Ford, Chrysler or the
>>General
>> > had built the P76 and developed it properly, it could have been a good
>>car.
>> > Unfortunately, it was an absolute disaster.

Back in 86 when I was still employable and employed, I took charge of a new
Falcon XF wagon as my company car.  To get at the spare one had to lift out
a  pressed steel panel with the centre core being a +/- 18 inch piece of
irregular, unmachined plywood stapled to the steel.  I suppose the idea was
to save a bob  or two on a part of the car one never saw, unless one had a
flat tyre and then one would have other thimgs to think about.  Because it
was easy to get locked out I got into the habit of carrying a short piece
of coathanger in my pocket at all times.  Getting into the locked car wih
this primitive implement could not have been easier.  Another example I
think, of good old "she'l be right" Aussie workmanship,  This is not to say
that the P38 was anything but a sow's ear but it was not alone in failing
to be the silk purse it could and should have been.

Mike