Re: P76 Crankshaft and various followups

To: lark@world.std.com (Lar Kaufman)
Subject: Re: P76 Crankshaft and various followups
From: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 16:29:57 -0800
>If someone has technical data on the Rover/P76/BOP I'd like the data
>on cylinder bore centers myself, I'm trying to decide whether I can
>adapt existing cylinder heads for my weird project or whether I have
>to design my own and have them billet machined.
>
>As for the cost barrier for the stroker kit, was there a particular
>reason you ruled out a machined Buick 350 crank?  I'd trust one if
>it were nitrided/tuftrided before use; you could have one machined
>to spec, treated, and shipped out from the US for a fraction of the
>cost of the Prostroke kit... and it appears that only a smidgen of
>clearancing of the block is needed.
>
>Re my head deliberations... I'm scandalously contemplating turning
>a P76 block into, effectively, a dual VW tdi diesel, using two
>sets of VW diesel engine management systems, injectors, turbos etc.
>and fitting the aforementioned buick 350 crank into the tall-deck
>P76 block, machined to use VW tdi rods, with the block sleeved with
>thick-walled ductile iron sleeves to use stock VW tdi pistons.
>So I need flat cylinder heads adapted to fit the VW direct injection
>diesel injectors, and it looks like modifying current heads to
>work like VW's heads may be more work than starting from scratch.
>But there's a slim chance I could adapt some other heads for the
>purpose, maybe from the GM diesels or even something designed for
>the Pontiac iron duke 4 cyl. or something.  Just need some raw
>cylinder bore spacing data to weed out the possibilities...
>
> -lar
>"Nay, even the sins of lying and perjury are nowhere punishable by laws; unless
>in certain cases, in which the real turpitude of the thing and the offense
>against God are not considered, but only the injury done unto men's neighbours
>and to the commonwealth." - John Locke, A Letter Concerning Toleration (1689)

2/13/99

Lar,

        The center-to-center spacing of the Olds F-85/Buick Special engine
of 61-63 is 4.240"  Also the original Buick V-6 of 1962 (198 C.I.).  It's
hard to imagine the Rover 3.5, 3.9, or 4.2 being any different, though I
have not checked it out.  Also I suspect it is very likely that the Buick
300 and 340 are the same else how could the cranks and cams be so easily
adapted from one to another.

        It should be a relatively easy task to measure this on the top
block surface because the distance from the edge of 1 cylinder bore to the
corresponding edge of an adjacent one is identical to the center-to-center
spacing.  Hope I didn't misinterpret the question.

Regards,  Dave