Re: [Fwd: 50 psi oil pressure????]

To: "Glen Wilson" <GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: [Fwd: 50 psi oil pressure????]
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:01:23 -0800
    Well two things come to mind here.  There are two seperate relief valves
to deal with.  one is in the filter itself, (standard spin on types at
least), and the other is on the high presure side from the pump itself.  If
this engine is brand new and freshly rebuilt, then it is possible that the
presure relief spring or valve is not correctly set up.  It is also VERY
possible that you have the lines reversed on the remote filter block, and
you are putting through the oil backwards through the filter.  The internal
relief valve can't reduce the presure and the POP !!  what a mess!  Make
sure the lines are correct!!  (first place I would look)  Also make sure
that the return line from the remote filter block is not kinked
anywhere....Also... Many filters have a rubber flap on the inside of the
filter designed to stop leak down after the engine is off.  (makes sure that
there is oil in the pump and primed and ready to pump)...if the oild is
trying to go through backwards, it won't get out at ALL...then POP  what a
mess again!

My guess is that the lines are reversed...

Good Luck...

Rich