Re: Oil Change - Metal fragments - Not Good

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Change - Metal fragments - Not Good
From: Shadow@RTD.COM (The Shadow Knows...)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:40:32 -0700 (MST)
At 16:27 99-02-22 +1100, you wrote:

>--=_ORCL_15912322_0r0
>
>Hello All,
>
>Did an oil change on my 83 range rover yesterday, ...
>After draining the oil out of the oil drain pan I used, I noticed some brass
>looking metal
>fragments and a "haze" of fine gold coloured metal dust in the oil...
>
>So what potential disaster is happening in the engine or is this normal?
>
>Any advice appreciated
>Stuart Goggin

 Sounds like the distributor/oil pump drive gear is coming
un-glued to me.  I think it is brass in some applications.
Check with whomever re-built it and see if you can determine
whether it's steel or brass.  Also some cam bearings have a
brass under-lining.  Try a magnet on the chips and make sure
they are non-magnetic.  Try washing them in spray carb cleaner.
Some Aluminum will look brassy when cooked in oil.  But, _NO_,
it definitely is not normal.  Something is making scrap metal
out of your engine.

 Cheers,
  Mr. Shadow (Ret)