Re: Parts Interchangeability

To: Perry Robinson <PROBINSO@flower-mound.com>
Subject: Re: Parts Interchangeability
From: dkern@napanet.net (David Kernberger)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:55:10 -0800
>Hey all you "experts" out there, I'm looking for some advice on building a
>strong street Rover 3.5liter.
>
>Does anyone (other than Silv-o-lite) make a performance piston (9.5comp) or
>higher piston for the Rover?  I have been told that Chevy Vega pistons are
>the same 3.5 in. bore size, and on a recent post, someone mentioned that
>Chevy 2.8 V-6 pistons would fit the Buick.  I am assuming (and WE ALL know
>what that means) that the Chevy parts are going to be more available, and
>inexpensive, than an aftermarket item.
>
>What cam do you recommend?  Glen Towery says to stick with the stocker.
>
>What about carbs?  I've been running the Holley 390, but I'm not real happy
>with it.  Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm carb?  I have a
>stock 4bbl bop intake, what is the "best" intake.  (I have read Hardcastle's
>book, but don't think the Offy is the way to go anymore)  Has anyone
>actually used or is running, the Edelbrock Performer?
>
>My car is mostly used for highway use, and I like the idea of passing with
>lots of power at highway speeds.  I'm not really into the "stoplight drag
>race" type engine, but I also don't want an engine that doesn't make power
>until 5,000 rpm!
>
>Any help would be appreciated!
>
>Perry
>1961 MGA Mk II
>1979 TR7~8
>1988 RX7 convert. (daily driver)

>PS- I do have a complete '63 Olds 215 that is complete, disssassembled, that
>I would sell or trade very cheap!  (...trade for a cam and a set of headers
>for the Rover????)
>Bye

Perry,

        Am curious why you say "other than Silvolite."  Why not use them?
The price should be pretty good, I would think.  Quality is OK also, isn't
it?  Silvolite probably also makes pistons for the other 2 applications you
mention there.

        Incidentally, both the complete KB and complete Silvolite catalogs
are on the WWW at kb-silvolite.com, complete with CR, compression
height,available oversizes, pin diameter, ring groove specs, etc etc etc.
It's a good place to do basic piston interchangability research.

Dave