Parts Interchangeability -Reply

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net, PROBINSO@flower-mound.com
Subject: Parts Interchangeability -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:03:16 -0600
>Does anyone (other than Silv-o-lite) make a performance piston (9.5comp) or
>higher piston for the Rover?  I have been told that Chevy Vega pistons are
>the same 3.5 in. bore size, and on a recent post, someone mentioned that
>Chevy 2.8 V-6 pistons would fit the Buick.  I am assuming (and WE ALL know
>what that means) that the Chevy parts are going to be more available, and
>inexpensive, than an aftermarket item.

You assume too much.  While there are several different pistons
that will fit the bore, the pin heights are not necessarily in the
right place for a stock rod and crank.  The pistons mentioned
yield the desired compression with a 300 crank and heads.
There may be pistons that will work but you'll need to do the
research with the piston catalogs for the proper pin heigth and
diameter.

Ted and Woody both deal with pistons.  You might see what
they have.

>What cam do you recommend?  Glen Towery says to stick with the stocker.

You might want to contact Woody Cooper.  He's done a number of
custom Sig Erson cams for the 3.5.

>What about carbs?  I've been running the Holley 390, but I'm not real happy
>with it.  Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer 500 cfm carb?  I have a
>stock 4bbl bop intake, what is the "best" intake.  (I have read Hardcastle's
>book, but don't think the Offy is the way to go anymore)  Has anyone
>actually used or is running, the Edelbrock Performer?

Ted Schumacher is doing an dyno intake comparison and has a couple
of my intakes (Offy Dual Port and Buick 4 bbl).  I think he also plans
to test the Edelbrock intake.  He's using a Holley 390 with some carb
guru modifications.

I've got several carbs to play with (holley 390, Carter 400, Edelbrock
500, Edelbrock 600) but it will be awhile before I actually finish the
engine to see which one I like best.  I tend to prefer the Carter/Edelbrock
carbs but I've made Holleys work too.

>My car is mostly used for highway use, and I like the idea of passing with
>lots of power at highway speeds.  I'm not really into the "stoplight drag
>race" type engine, but I also don't want an engine that doesn't make power
>until 5,000 rpm!

You definately want compression.  Shoot for 10:1 compression
and a cam with 110 lobe centers and whatever duration fits your
rpm range.  Probably a little extra duration and lift on the exhaust
to crutch up the smal exhaust port.  Bowl port the heads and consider
oversize valves.  Run headers - both Ted and woody carry the
tri-y's for TR8's.  Buick/Olds 4 bbl intake with spacer or Edelbrock
Performer.

Dan Jones