PERRY -Reply

To: PROBINSO@flower-mound.com, GlenWilson@worldnet.att.net
Subject: PERRY -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:13:49 -0600
>Just between us, Dan, the Holley needs some changes to work with the
>Buick.  I'm pretty much a rookie and have found that people on this
>list frequently gloss over essential stuff they assume everyone
>knows.  There's also some difference of opinion.

Yup, that's usually what FAQ's and archives are for.  Otherwise
you end up  repeating the same stuff over and over again.

>Here's what I've gleaned.  The stock Holley 390 needs to be rejetted
>to run right on this little engine.  I've got some numbers at home I
>can send you.

True for any Holley (or other carb) on any engine.  If the jetting,
PVCR's, pump, power valve are right out of the box for your
engine it's only by coincidence.  The required carb parts are a
function of the particular engine combination (cam, intake, headers,
etc.).

>Also, the stock carb does not have the metering block
>for the secondaries, and you need that to make it run right.  It's
>around $60-70 and allows you to adjust all of the factors for the
>secondary.  You will also probably have to change the spring in the
>vacuum secondary that controls when they kick in.

Yup, I mention that in another post.  Don't forget the power
valve and PVCR's.

>They say that it pays to pick a slightly different cam for the
>accelerator pump linkage so that it squirts less gas.

I usually leave the accelerator pump tuning until last and
then set it pump as little gas as possible.

>You apparently need to drill
>three nickle-sized holes on the choke plate to keep it from
>overchoking.  Other than that, you just toss it on there....

Nah, you should be able to set the choke plate any place you
want it.

Dan Jones