Info about Silvolite pistons -Reply

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Info about Silvolite pistons -Reply
From: Daniel Jones <djones2@mdc.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:36:47 -0600
This is pretty typical.  Silvolite will make a batch of these only
when they get a certain number of orders to make it worth their
while.  There are few places vendors you can check that may
have a set in stock.  There's Dan Lagrou, Woody Cooper, Ted
Schumacher, Eight Parts, the street rod place in Utah (forget the
name butthey carry the pistons and other parts for 215's), Glen
Towery,etc.  None of the big mail order outfits like Summit are
likely to have those pistons.

Dan Jones

>>> Mark Tinker <mtinker@cisco.com> 03/27/99 08:21pm >>>
There seems to be an interest in Silvolite pistons on the list recently.  When
rebuilding my engine last year, I considered using Silvolite pistons, but chose
not
to.  The following are several emails betwwen Silvolite customer service and
myself.  Perhaps more inquiries to Silvolite in the future could change my
experience.

Dear Mark,

Since you're having problems with your area jobbers, I would suggest then going
one of the mail order companies, such as Summit Racing Equipment or Jegs. You
may
also want to comment to your local chamber of commerce that the local merchants
aren't too interested in keeping local dollars local!  :-D

Unfortunately, our stock on the 9598's are at zero. We have no standards or any
complete sets of oversizes, and no production scheduled any time soon. However,
we
do have the 1718's in stock in all sizes including standards. The 1718's are a
lower compression version of the 9598's; I realize this isn't quite what you're
looking for, but if you're looking for a stock build-up, the 1718's are a good
choice.

If this is something you may be interested in, please let me know and I'll help
you find a local distributor you can purchase thru.

Kim

Mark Tinker wrote:

> Ms. Gill,
>
> Thank you for your reply.  The problem I am having is a general lack of
> follow up from the local distributors.  I contacted the South Central
> distributor listed on your web page ( MDC in Dallas, Texas ) and they gave
> me the names of several local parts stores as they would not sell to me.  I
> have called several for pricing/availability, but have yet to receive a
> reply.  Replies to my follow up calls are similarly brushed aside.  This
> may be due to the rare nature of the part I am looking for and the amount
> of work required to track them down.
>
> What I would like from you is help in locating the parts or possibly
> information on purchasing them direct if possible.  I need 8 pistons with
> the standard bore and rings if possible.  Thanks for your help.
>
> At 12:53 PM 6/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
> >Dear Mr. Tinker:
> >
> >What exactly is the problem you're having? Lack of stock, pricing,
> >oversizes...? And which jobber or WD are you trying to order thru?
> >
> >9598's have historically been difficult to obtain due to low stock levels. We
> >VERY rarely receive orders for the higher c.r. 215's, therefore we don't
> >manufacture them but once a year. We have been considering discontinuing
them
> >because of low demand.
> >
> >I would be happy to help you out in any way I can, but I need to know what
> the
> >problem seems to be. Please provide specifics and I'll see what I can do for
> >you.
> >
> >Sincerely,
> >Kim Gill
> >KB/Silvolite Tech Support