Re: Info about Silvolite pistons

To: "Mark Tinker" <mtinker@cisco.com>, <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Info about Silvolite pistons
From: "Lauri Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 07:46:04 -0800
    When I started my 215 project in 1978, silvolites were the only pistons
available then as well, unless you went the more expensive forged route.  So
I bought a set of .040 to match the bore job I had just had done.  When I
talked with the Boat races that were using this engine in their particular
class, they ALL said sell them, and don't use them.  They said they were
unreliabe and would fracture easily above 6,000 rpm.  Since I had ever
intention of spinning this far beyond that, I sold them.  To a friend who
was doing a 215 convertion into a Chevy Vega.  8 months later he told me
that he had just shattered the skirts on two of them, at about 6,700 rpm.  I
do NOT reccomend these pistons at all.  Maybe things have changed a bit from
them, but I doubt it.  For absolute stock application, maybe they are
ok.....but I won't trust them.
    When I contacted J&E, Johns, and other forged pistons manufacturers, I
had NO problems obtaining ANYTHING I wanted.  Pin diameters, pin offsets,
pin highth, number of rings, styles, valve reliefs, taper,individual bore
diameters, anything at all, they were happy to do.  The needed to know the
stroke if not stock, rod length, pin style and diameter, head cc's, deck
highth from journal center, skirt style, desired CR, and pin offset...adn
they would feed this into their computer, and it wold work away on the TRW
slugs and BIngo...Race ready forged pistons JUST for my engine....
    Forged IS the best way to go, but they are not cheap, figure $80 to $100
each (us dollars).  It sounds like a lot, and it is, but any failure here
will be catastrophic!.  You just don't go cheap on the Pistons, Rods, Rod
bolts, or Valves....if you don't get the best, at least get something far
better than stock.

        Since 1978, my little engine has been waiting for me to pony up the
cash for the needed rods and pistons and probably crank too.  years ago,
when I was saving up for the rods and pistons I wanted.  I simply ran out of
time and money, and sold the car I was going to put it in.  (1965 Sunbeam
Alpine), so I have had a renewed desire to play with it again recently, but
need to find somehting good to put it in.  I'm now looking for another
Sunbeam Alpine, or possibly an MGB.  have seen a few of those around, and it
seems to be a popular convertion.  No one still has done the Alpine yet that
I know of...

Just my ramblings.....
Rich