Pressing pistons off con-rods

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Pressing pistons off con-rods
From: "Opstal, Lex van" <agopstal@huygmetaal.nl>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:49:17 +0100
Hi there David and Keith,

Coincidentally in the last few days I have pressed off about 40
pistons from the rods.
I'm building, blueprinting and tuning a 3.5 ltr Rover engine.

Of the 40 pistons, all 10,5 cr only about 13 are reusable.
The rest had worn out topringgrooves.

Last Friday I got another nice set of 10,5 pistons but the mechanic who
took them out of the block
had thrown the big-end caps away so I have to press the rods in and out.

Now as I had heard a lot of horrorstories of broken pistons during
hydraulic pressing
I have done the following.
Took a piece of high tensile rod (M12) and 4 nuts.
The nuts are slightly smaller then the outside diameter of the pin.
A piece of thickwall pipe with an internal diameter of 14 mm.

Now I heat the rod up to about 300 degrees C (572 F)with an adjustable
electric heat gun.
Put the piston/rod assembly in a vice with protected jaws.
Heating the rods with an open propane flame is making the rod too hot.
Temperature should stay well below 1200 Fahrenheit (650 C).
The heating makes all the difference in the initial shifting of the pin.

So I slowly and progressively turn the nut and so press the pin in or
out.
It is a bit more work but safer for the pistons.

If any of you is interested I made a picture of this contraption which I
will
happily send to your private emailaddress.

Lex.
Holland.