Re: switching in a 4.6 block replacement

To: "buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net" <buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: switching in a 4.6 block replacement
From: lmg@gomog.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:47:01 -0400
> I have a competition engine built into one of the new blocks.  It uses the
> old 215 heads with standard valves and it outperforms most 'higher spec'
> engines on the track, dragstrip and dyno.  It was built by John Eales.
> Valve size is not that critical on these engines as the ports are so
> restrictive.

> Ian

You are right on the valves of course.

It will be interesting to read that article. I have been involved in two
4.6 for 3.5 block switches. Each used everything from the older
systems...timing cover, dizzy, water pump, oil pump, intake manifolds,
heads, sumps, starters, etc.  One was a carb'ed fuelling system and one
with a "flapper" EFI.

The only fitting issues encountered were

1. The small spacer for the crankshaft pulley,

2. The drilling of bolt holes to fit the old oil pickup and baffle
plate.

The only fuelling issues were,

1. 4.6 "jetting" for the carb, (a weber 500 cfm)

2. adjusting/increasing the fuel pressure for the EFI

3. re-adjusting the idle.

There are NO space issues with this type of switch. How can there be?

I would imagine that the newer EFI systems would require a new
chip...but I have yet to deal with one of these types of switches and
Franc could speculate better than I. (I avoid fuelling systems I cannot
fix or adjust in my own garage.)

In both cases the effect was remarkable and well worth discussing...as
to simply say that there is more power does not do justice to the new
block or the old one for that matter.

Lorne